New ship technology will change the role of onboard crew, with less hard labor and more focus on monitoring and interaction with operators ashore.
- New technology, such as fuel cells, have fewer moving parts and require less maintenance but will still require crew for monitoring and ship supervision
- Safer and healthier working conditions with less noise and vibrations
- Digital competences increasingly important
- More focus on crew well-being with more time for health, exercise and personal interests
- Fully connected ships allows for more social interaction with friends and family